An off day demands for a piping hot evening tea with a yummy bite . It is special to us because that is the only day when i have my hubs to share a cup of tea in the evening , all other days he shares it with his work desk ( hmmm, SIGH ! ). I usually make a nice snack in the weekend (the only day i fry anything,if at all.Im kind of phobic to frying ! ).The potato cheese balls are a favorite of us , potato is his and the gooey cheese is all mine 🙂 . The calorie load is all forgotten.And if its a cold / rainy day , it becomes more tasty.
Aaahh ! the hot gooey cheese , the crunchy coat and the soft mashed potatoes…mmm…bliss !
You could even make them up the previous day and refrigerate until frying.So grab up the ingredients and roll a few of these to fry 🙂
Here is the recipe.
POTATO CHEESE BALLS
- 3 large potatoes boiled, peeled and slightly mashed
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 inches of ginger finely shredded
- 1/4 cup of coriander leaves chopped
- 1 cube of seasoning /stock cube (Chicken/vegetable)
- 1 cup boiled and shredded chicken (optional)
- ½ cup cheese preferably mozzarella (shredded or cubed)
- 1 egg lightly beaten OR 2 tablespoon of corn flour mixed in water to make a slurry to dip
- 2 cups of bread crumbs
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
NOTE : the amount of cheese, chilies and ginger can be altered to taste.
- Combine chopped ginger, onion, green chilies, mashed potatoes, (chicken if using) and coriander leaves.
- Powder the seasoning cubes, add to the above mixture and mix lightly until it comes together to form balls.
- Check for seasoning, add salt if necessary. (Please note that the cubes are already salted)
- Now , take around 2 tablespoon of mixture in your palm and form a disc , place a teaspoon of the shredded mozzarella cheese OR a cube of the cheese in between and cover them up to form a round ball and repeat until all of the mixture is over.
- Dip these balls in the egg or corn flour slurry, and then coat well with bread crumbs. Repeat until all of them are done (This step may be repeated if you want a thick coating)
- Place these balls covered in the freezer for 10 minutes, to make it firm to handle and avoid breakage.
- Fry them until golden on medium high heat for a few minutes. (NOTE: you just want to get the coating to be crispy and golden since all the ingredients are precooked)
- Serve with tomato ketchup or any dip of your choice.