I have a handful of newlywed friends who just entered into the world of cooking and struggle to get their cooking sleeves on while managing a full time job. So I’ve decided to post a few easy dishes that gets done in a breeze without much fuss .So here’s starting it with a humble ‘ BEETROOT PACHADI ‘ in my MOM’s way. The traditional ones use coconut, and includes a little more of cooking,But this recipe has no coconut ! I said you this is an easy breezy one .
This is one of the main side dish in ‘ Kerala sadhya’ (which looks bright when served among all dishes and make the whole platter a visual treat ) , where most of the sides would be prepared with coconut, this is an exception in my menu . You could use this as a side for roti or stuffed parathas too. I even have it on its own , this dish harmonizes savory, sweet and sour flavors with the use of beetroot , chilies and yoghurt.
A few facts : Beetroot has been gaining in popularity as a new super food . One cup of raw beets contains 58 calories, 13 grams of carbohydrate (including 9 grams of sugar and 4 grams of fiber) and 2 grams of protein. It provides 1% of daily vitamin A needs, 2% of calcium, 11% of vitamin C and 6% of iron. Beetroot is a rich source of folate and manganese and also contains thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B-6, pantothenic acid, choline, betaine, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper and selenium.
On to the recipe now
EASY BEETROOT PACHADI
Cooking time : 5 minutes
Serves : 2
- ½ cup shredded / thinly sliced beetroot
- 1½ cup yogurt/curd ( beaten)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 dried Whole red chilies
- 2 stalks Curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan , once hot ,add mustard seeds,and fenugreek seeds.Allow to splutter.
- Add in the curry leaves and red chilies and fry for a few seconds.
- To this tempering , add in the ginger and green chilies and sauté for a minute.
- Tip in the shredded beetroot to it and sauté for a few minutes until done.
- Cool the mixture for 5 minutes.
- Add it to the beaten yogurt and mix well .(NOTE : the yogurt might curdle if the mixture is added while still hot )