Yes you read it right above . 30 grams of walnut contains 113% of omega-3 fats ,which forms an integral part for your health. You can purchase nut milk easily enough, but along with those ,you get an additional overload of nasty preservatives , loads of sugar, stabilizers, and other not-so-natural ingredients. This day you are going to thank me for letting you get rid of them.
It’s so good!
It’s better than store bought!
It’s a doodle to make!
Homemade nut milk is the best!
And it gets even better when chilled !
You could use walnuts , almonds , hazelnuts , Cashew nuts , Pistachios or Macadamias. I have used Walnuts here , so that I can sneak in these super food nuts into my diet . ( I seriously don’t like to have it as it is ,My bad !! but this makes it taste so good , that I go back to the fridge every now and then )
It is also perfect for those of you who may suspect your body is intolerant to dairy; or simply if you’re looking for a delicious alternative to normal milk!
This nut milk recipe is delicious in coffee, for hot chocolate, for cereals to anywhere milk is used or for a chocolate milk like the one here. Tell me, what’s better than chocolate, coffee flavored walnut milk with cinnamon to spice it up?
Though some of you may flout at the concept (who has time for all this ??), take my word: it’s like a breeze ! You soak them , Blitz them , strain and VOILA ! you have your own home made nut milk .
You could flavor it with Vanilla , Dates , Honey , Caramel ,Chocolate or anything of your choice .There are endless choices.
And yeah ,you can use the residual nut pulp for all kinds of things like oatmeal, cookies , muffins , pancakes ,roti ,shakes or you can even dehydrate it to make almond meal .
Homemade Nut Milk
makes 7 -8 cups
- 2 cups raw unsalted organic nuts( I used Walnuts here )
- 6 cups filtered or purified water (more water if you want to thin down the milk )
- Optional :
- Any flavoring of your choice
- 1-2 tablespoon raw honey ,dates or any other sweetener.
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.(soak it along with the nuts)
1) Soak your nuts in fresh water for 8 – 12 hours or overnight.it makes the nuts soft to process.
2) Discard the soaking water and rinse your nuts well,this removes the excess tannin’s .
3) Place soaked nuts, honey (or other sweetener),1 cup of water in a blender. Cover and blend on high for 1-2 minutes. It will be like a paste , but this is not what you want.
Add the rest of the 5 cups of water and blitz for another few minutes.it will be milky and have a bit of foam on the top.
4) Strain milk through a strainer lined with a cheese cloth or a nut bag and squeeze into a bowl.
Store in a covered glass jar, bottle or pitcher in the refrigerator, can be stored for about 4-5 days.
Separation is totally natural with homemade nut milks, so shake it up just before serving.