Does this look like JADE thrown over a plate of rice to you ? or is it only to my wild imagination it looks so ?lets find out :).The prime ingredient here, Green peas on its own isn’t appealing to me , But when its paired with this lightly fragrant rice preparation ,I usually go for another serve :). I Love this Green peas studded Rice so, so much. It cooks in a breeze !! Just a few handy ingredients and you have it ready ! This could make your perfect main course when in a hurry and get bored of cutting too many veggies . You could also make this just like you make fried rice with precooked rice. Its that easy that this little dish adjusts to your comfort. It’s so fluffy .Plus it goes with anything. Did I really say that? Yeah , pair this Punjabi recipe with your favorite vegetarian dish , or any chicken preparations. or as it is with curd. Your call on that . Say no more: bowl o’ rice, here I come… !!! PEAS /MATAR PULAO RECIPE SERVES: 2-3
- 1 & 1/2 cups Basmati rice ( Soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- ¾ cup matar/peas ( I have used frozen here )
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil / ghee / butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 cups water for pressure cooker method and 3 to 3.5 cups open pan method (depends on the rice)
- ½ teaspoon of Turmeric ( optional , if you want the pulao coloured yellow like mine )
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 4 green cardamom
- 2-3 cloves
- a pinch of mace
- 1 small bay leaf
INSTRUCTIONS TO SOAK RICE
- wash the basmati rice until the water runs clear.
- soak the rice for 30 minutes and drain.
TO MAKE PULAO
- heat oil / ghee / butter in a pressure cooker or pan.
- crackle the cumin and then add all the whole spices, fry until fragrant.
- Now add the sliced onions and fry till the onions are caramelized.
- Add turmeric now if using.
- IF you are using fresh green peas ,add the peas and sauté’ for 2 minutes OR the frozen peas will be added later.
- now add the drained rice and stir gently.
- sauté for a minute. add water and salt.
- cover and pressure cook for a whistles on a high flame. let the pressure subside and then open the lid.add the frozen peas now and close the lid , as it just requires only 2 to 3 minutes of cooking time.
- Alternatively, if cooking in a pot, cover tightly with a lid and cook the rice till all the water is absorbed and the rice grains are cooked and well separated.add the frozen peas in the last 2 minutes of cooking , or it will turn mushy.
- fluff the rice and serve the pulao hot with Any vegetable / chicken curry of your choice , raita, pickle, pappad .
NOTES If cooking in a pot frequently check the rice for doneness. if all the water has been absorbed and the rice grains have not cooked completely, then add a few tablespoons of water ,cover and cook until done. I prefer cooking in a pot rather than in a pressure cooker.